You are here
Mr. G. Mohan Kumar
To transform India into a global leader in the steel sector, both as a steel producer as well as a steel consuming nation and to enhance the industry's international competitiveness
Promoting policies, initiatives and incentives for attaining a national steel production capacity of 142.3 million tonnes by the end of Twelfth Five Year Plan.Streamlining the regulatory environment for enabling optimal steel production; particularly regarding mineral policy and the mine allocation regime, tariff and taxation measures, land allocation and environmental & forest clearances.Promoting the development of infrastructure required for enhancing national steel production through coordinated efforts, particularly in sectors like Railways, Roads, Ports, Power and Water supply.Enhancing domestic demand for steel through promotional efforts and by enlarging the retail network of steel companies.Improving the techno-economic efficiency of operations of steel Ministry's PSUs.
- Co-ordination and planning of the growth and development of Iron and Steel Industry in the country (including Re-rolling Mills, Alloy Steel and Ferro Alloy Industries, Refractories) both in the Public and Private Sectors;
- Formulation of policies in respect of production, pricing, distribution, import and export of iron & steel, ferro alloys and refractories; and
- Development of input industries relating to iron ore, manganese ore, chrome ore and Refractories etc. , required mainly by the steel industry
- To facilitate creation of steel making capacity and growth in steel production
- Minitoring performance of commitments made in the MOUs by PSUs
- Ensuring adequate availability of raw materials for steel industry from domestic and overseas sources, particularly iron ore and coal by PSUs under the Ministry of Steel
- Improving the performance of Iron & Steel industry through R&D; intervention, Quality Control, Export Promotion and Improvements in techno-economic parameters.
- To facilitate and monitor mergers, acquisitions and Joint Ventures by the steel ministry PSUs.
- Finalisation of New Policy Initiatives
- Creating and updating a comprehansive data base for various segments of the steel industry
- Human Reource Development in Iron & Steel sector
- Proactive steps for environmental enhancement and pollution control
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Increase in Steel production||Ministries/ Departments of Railways, Surface Transport, Ports/Shipping, Power, Mines, Coal, Environment & Forest, State Governments concerned||Steel Production||Million Tonnes||72||78||82||91||96|
|2. Increase in Steel making capacity||Ministries/ Departments of Railways, Surface Transport, Ports/Shipping, Power, Mines, Coal, Environment & Forest, State Governments concerned||Production capacity||Million Tonnes||84.8||92||108||113||118|
|3. Reduction in import of Steel||Ministries/ Departments of Railways, Surface Transport, Ports/Shipping, Power, Mines, Coal, Environment & Forest, State Governments concerned||Import of finished steel||Million Tonnes||6.8||6.0||5.5||5.5||5.0|
|4. Increase in export of finished steel||Export of finished steel||Million Tonnes||3.64||4.04||4.00||5.00||6.00|
|5. Increase in consumption of finished steel||Real consumption of finished steel||Million Tonnes||70.00||77.30||85.05||93.60||100|