You are here
Petroleum & Natural Gas
Affordable and secure hydrocarbon energy for fuelling India's growth
- To formulate conducive policies and provide effective regulatory framework for the growth of hydrocarbon sector.
- To accelerate domestic Exploration & Production (E&P) of hydrocarbons as well as equity oil & gas abroad.
- To develop the hydrocarbon sector through technology up-gradation and capacity building in production, refining, transportation and marketing sectors.
- To develop supply and distribution infrastructure for petroleum products, to serve the needs of the economy, including households.
- To enhance service standards and to maximize customer satisfaction.
- Promote fuel conservation, clean & green fuels and development of alternative sources of energy.
The Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas is situated in Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi and is entrusted with the responsibility of exploration and production of oil and natural gas, their refining, distribution and marketing, import, export, and conservation of petroleum products and Liquified Natural Gas.
The Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, gets its authority under item no. 53, list 1, Seventh Schedule, Article 246 of the Constitution of India.
The item reads" Regulation and development of oil fields and mineral oil resources, Petroleum and Petroleum products and other liquid.
- Policy framework for growth of E&P; sector
- Research & Development for bringing in higher productivity in specific area of Oil and Gas exploration, storage, transportation by the Oil sector companies.
- Increase in exploration Activities
- Enhancing Domestic reserves & Production
- Overseas crude oil & natural Gas production
- Increasing Capital Investment in Oil & Gas Sector
- Making the sensitive petroleum products viz. Diesel, PDS Kerosene and Domestic LPG available at reasonable prices
- Increasing Refinery capacity
- Improvement of Refinery Performance
- Ensuring availability of petroleum products across the nation with respect to marketing and distribution
- Promoting cleaner and environment friendly fuels
- To encourage use of Natural Gas
- To promote fuel conservation
- Develop capacity building for 5 MMTOE per year energy from renewable and unconventional hydrocarbon resources to become carbon neutral for Oil Sector Companies
- Group target for "Installing power generation capacity"
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Enhancing domestic reserve Adding more reserves & production||ONGC, OIL & GAIL||Adding more reserves||No.||1||1.1||1||1||1|
|Gas production (Public Sector)||BCM||25.94||26.10||25||27.6||29|
|2. Overseas crude and Oil production||OVL||Overseas production of crude oil||MMTOE||6.21||4.3||4.5||6.48||7.02|
|Overseas production of natural gas||BCM||2.53||2.7||2.5||2.61||2.79|
|3. Overseas production of natural gas||Oil Refineries||Additoinal Capacity created||MMPTA||26.9||8||15||15||-|
|4. Increase in cummulative gas trunk transportation network in the country||Petroleum & Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB)||Extension of existing pipeline||KM||-||182||200||200||200|
|Laying of new Trunk pipelines||KM||-||265||200||200||200|
|5. Plan investment through internal and external budgetary resources (IE&BR) of PSUs||Oil PSUs||% of budget outlay utilized||%||86||96||90||-||-|
|6. Monitoring physical progress in work programme for developing energy from renewable and unconventional sources by Oil & Gas PSUs||Oil & Gas PSUs, MNRE||% of targets achieved||%||-||-||95||-||-|
|7. Area with proven reserves for oil and gas||PML Area accretion||Sq. M.||37011||37291||37288||TBD||TBD|
|8. Enhanced oil and gas security||% of crude oil demand met from domestic sources||%||25.2||24.2||24.9||26.5||24.7|
|Domestic crude oil production||MMT||37.6||38||41.3||45.57||43.76|
|Percentage of Natural Gas demand met from domestic sources||%||48.48||41.03||TBD||TBD||TBD|
|Domestic Natural Gas production||BCM||52.22||51.67||43.18||43.77||47.17|
|Domestic Production of oil (Private Sector)||MMT||9.68||10.69||12.12||11.51||12.70|
|Domestic Production of Gas (Private Sector)||BCM||26.77||25.58||15.38||14.50||16.50|
|The Extent of Diversification achieved in our import basket (TBD) %age of low Sulphur crude processed by Refineries||%LS||34.8||31.8||-||-||-|
|The entent of diversification achieved in our import basket (TBD)-High Sulphur crude processed by refineries||%HS||65.2||68.2||-||-||-|