You are here
To excel as knowledge and technology enterprise in the earth system science realm towards socio-economic benefit of the society
To conduct scientific and technical activities related Earth System Science for improving forecasting of weather, monsoon, climate and hazard, exploration of polar regions, seas around India and develop technology for exploration and exploitation of ocean resources (living and ocean and non-living), ensuring their sustainable utilization
The Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) is mandated to provide the nation with best possible services in forecasting the monsoons and other weather/climate parameters, ocean state, earthquakes, tsunamis and other phenomena related to earth systems through well integrated programmes. The Ministry also deals with science and technology for exploration and exploitation of ocean resources (living and non-living), and play nodal role for Antarctic/Arctic and Southern Ocean research. The Ministry mandate is to look after Atmospheric Sciences, Ocean Science & Technology and Seismology in an integrated manner.
The Earth Commission, Ministry of Earth Sciences works in Mission Mode based on Commission structure, is responsible for formulating policies, oversee implementation of policies and programs in mission mode, and ensure the necessary interdisciplinary integration.
- To improve weather forecast and provide advisory to agriculture, aviation, shipping, sports including the extended , Long Range Seasonal Monsoon forecast
- To provide a wide range of ocean information advisories including fishery information
- To improve the understanding of Polar Science and its implications for climate change
- To conduct survey for assessing non-living resources
- To developing technology for harnessing marine resources
- To assess coastal marine productivity and Marine Ecosystem
- To improve understanding of Climate Change Science
- To provide early warning of natural hazards viz. cyclone, tsunami, sea level rise.
- To conduct research in Seismology and Geoscience
- To promote basic research including Capacity building in the Earth System Science
- To promote awareness and educate the public by extending support to seminars, symposia, conferences and conduct workshops with stakeholders
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|Generation of weather forecast advisory||Agriculture||Accuracy of Advisories||%||75||76||77||78||79|
|Economic benefits of the services being rendered farmers using the advisories||%||0||24||26||28||30|
|Generation of Ocean Information advisories||State Fishery Department Fisherman association Shipping, Ports, Navy, Coast Guard, Offshore Industry||Accuracy of Advisories||%||70||75||78||80||82|
|Economic benefits of the services being rendered by the ministry (in terms of GDP)||%||-||0.81||0.84||0.87||0.90|
|Modelling coastal area marine productivity and Marine Ecosystems, Coastal Water Quality||Dissemination of information to the costal pollution board||%||65||70||75||77||79|
|Timely advisory and cyclone, tsunami.||Accuracy of forecasting advisories||%||75|