You are here
To secure availability of coal to meet the demand of various sectors of the economy in an eco-friendly, sustainable and cost effective manner.
- To augment production through Government companies as well as captive mining route by adopting state-of-the-art and clean coal technologies with a view to improve productivity, safety, quality and ecology.
- To augment the resource base by enhancing exploration efforts with thrust on increasing proved resources
- To facilitate development of necessary infrastructure for prompt evacuation of coal
The Ministry of Coal has the overall responsibility of determining policies and strategies in respect of exploration and development of coal and lignite reserves, sanctioning of important projects of high value and for deciding all related issues. Under the administrative control of the Ministry, these key functions are exercised through the Public Sector Undertakings, namely, Coal India Ltd. and its subsidiaries and Neyveli Lignite corporation Limited. Other than Coal India Ltd. and Neyveli Lignite Corporation Ltd., the Ministry of Coal also has a joint venture with Government of Andhra Pradesh called Singareni Collieries Company Limited. Government of Andhra Pradesh holds 51% equity and Government of India holds 49 % equity.
- To ensure achievement of Annual Action Plan targets for coal production and off-take, lignite production and power generation.
- To facilitate development and production from captive blocks.
- Exploration of coal blocks for allotment.
- To ensure coal supply to regulated power utilities.
- To ensure that the coal companies bring all linked consumers under FSA regime
- Rationalisation of existing sources of coal supply to ensure adequate supply efficiently
- Implementation of Rail & Road Infrastructure Development in Coalfield areas. Timelines are as per Annexure-I
- To Improve the performance of CMPDIL for augmenting the proved reserves.
- To increase coal washing capacity.
- Introduction of new technology in mines
- Implement policy on use of surplus coal and washery rejects from captive blocks.
- Increase in productivity of output per man shift (OMS) separately for underground and open cast mining.
- Aquisition of the land under CBA (A&D;) Act, 1957.
- Release of funds for payment of compensation against land acquired under CBA (A&D;) Act, 1957.
- Entering into long term contracts for import of coal
- Acquiring coal mines abroad.
- Reducing Cumulative backlog over burden.(OBR target is fixed considering the actual stripping ratio encountered in the current year and the area to be strip opened in the next year).
- Reducing pit head stocks. Action Plan as per Annexure-III.
- Restructuring Study of Coal India Limited.
- Modernization and Technology Upgradation
- Auction of Coal Blocks (First Tranche of Auction).
- Allocation of Coal Blocks to Govt. Companies / Corporations.
- PPP model and partnership with Coal India.
- Constitution of Business Council
- Third Party sampling of coal supplied by CIL
- Review Coordination meeting with M/o Environment & Forests.
- Number of coal blocks coming into production
- Planning for UG mines.
- GPS based tracking of transportation of coal
- Joint target for additional power capacity/gross power generation
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Increased production and offtake of coal||Ministry of Environment and Forests, Ministry of Power, Ministry of Labour, State Governments||Coal production target by Coal India Limited for the year 2013-14 - Target-485.00 MT||Million Tonnes||485|
|Coal offtake target by Coal India Limited for the year 2013-14 - Target-494.00 MT||Million Tonnes||494|
|2. Increased production of Lignite||Ministry of Environment and Forests, Ministry of Power, Ministry of Labour, State Governments||Lignite production target by Neyveli Lignite Corporation for the year 2013-14 - Target-25.20 MT||% of||100|
|3. Improved productivity of coal in the country||OMS for UG mines- 0.9 tonnes||Tonnes||0.9|
|OMS for OC mines- 12 tonnes||Tonnes||12|