You are here
Ms. Nita Chowdhury
To create an enabling environment for the progressive use of Hindi for official purposes of the Union in accordance with constitutional and statutory provisions regarding Official Language, so that it may serve as a medium of expression for all the elements of the composite culture of the country.
To promote the incremental use of Hindi by meeting its statutory obligations in the Central Government Ministries/Departments/ Organizations; by creating awareness, and sensitizing the stakeholders through dissemination of information about the Official Language policy, programmes and activities; by undertaking capacitybuilding/enhancement of the Central Government personnel at various levels of seniority in multiple areas of expertize viz. Hindi Language, Typing, Shorthand and use of IT tools; and by building synergy with Ministries/Departments/Organizations which share this Department's mandate to a certain extent.
With a view to ensuring compliance of the constitutional and legal provisions regarding official language and to promote the use of Hindi for the official purposes of the Union, the Department of Official Language was set up in June 1975 as an independent Department of the Ministry of Home Affairs. Since then, this Department has been making efforts for accelerating the progressive use of Hindi for the official purposes of the Union. In accordance with the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961, this Department has been entrusted with the following items of work:-
- Implementing the provisions of the Constitution relating to the Official Language and the provisions of the Official Languages Act, 1963 (19 of 1963), except to the extent such implementation has been assigned to any other Department
- Prior approval of the President for authorising the limited use of a language, other than English, in the proceedings in the High Court of a State.
- Nodal responsibility for all matters relating to the progressive use of Hindi as the Official Language of the Union including Hindi Teaching Scheme for Central Government Employees and publication of magazines, journals & other literature related thereto.
- Co-ordination in all matters relating to the progressive use of Hindi as the Official Language of the Union, including administrative terminology, syllabi, textbooks, training courses and equipment (with standardised script) required therefor.
- Constitution and cadre-management of the Central Secretariat Official Language Service.
- Matters relating to the Kendriya Hindi Samiti.
- To promote the progressive use of Hindi in the Central Government Ministries/Departments/ Organizations through persuasion, incentives and motivations.
- To provide direction and guidance to the said entities of the Central Government for the use of Hindi.
- To impart training at induction level and in-service training in Hindi language, Typing/Shorthand and IT tools.
- To impart training at induction level and in service training in translation.
- To provide authentic translation of English documents.
- Issue of Presidential Orders on recommendations made in 9th part of the report submitted by CPOL and constitution of Kendriya HindiSamiti.
- To maximize the satisfaction of citizens and clients with regard to the functioning of Department of Official Language (DOL), and its subordinate offices Central Hindi Training Institutte (CHTI), Central Translation Bureau (CTB), Regional Implementation Offices (RIOs), and Secretariat of the Committee on Official Language (COL), through continous interface with stakeholders.
- To develop dynamic framework of personnel policy and management, and ceaseless pursuit of qualitative strengthening of Central Secretariat Official Language Services (CSOLS), and officers and officials of Central Hindi Training Institute (CHTI), Central Translation Bureau (CTB), Regional Implementation Offices (RIOs), and Secretariat of the Committee on Official Language (COL).
- Promotion of ICT applications in the use of Official Language
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
1. Promote use of Official
ngs/Subordinate Offices, Attached
Offices and Autonomous Bodies
substantially owned/controlled by the
|Increase in the use of Hindi to the extent of 3% during 2011-12 and an increase of 0.5% per year thereafter toill 2015-16 reaching a level of 5% by 2015-16||Percenta||3||3.5||4||4.5||5|