You are here
Chemicals & Petrochemicals
To facilitate the growth and development of the Chemical and Petrochemical industry and to enable it to become a major global player as well as environmentally friendly
To promote investment in the chemical and petrochemical sector and maintain rates of growth commensurate with growth of GDP. To encourage R&D and Human Resource Planning and development to cater to the needs of the industry. To improve productivity in the sector and support adoption of environment friendly and sustainable technologies and practices .
The Department of Chemicals & Petro-Chemicals has been part of the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers from 5.7.1991. The Department is entrusted with the responsibility of policy, planning, development and regulation of Chemicals and Petrochemicals Industries. The business allocated to the Department is listed as below :
- Insecticides (excluding the administration of the Insecticides Act, 1968 (46 of 1968).
- Alcohol - industrial and potable from the molasses route.
- Dye-stuffs and dye-intermediates.
- All organic and inorganic chemicals, not specifically allotted to any other Ministry or Department.
- Planning, development and control of, and assistance to, all industries dealt with by the Department.
- Bhopal Gas Leak Disaster-Special Laws relating thereto.Bhopal Gas Leak Disaster-Special Laws relating thereto.
- Industries relating to production of non-cellulosic synthetic fibres (Nylon Polyester, Acrylic etc.).
- Synthetic rubber.
- Plastics including fabrications of plastic and moulded goods.
- Facilitate the growth and development of the chemical sector
- Implementation of the Assam Gas Cracker Project
- Facilitate human resource development in downstream industries through CIPET
- Promoting investment and growth in the petrochemical sector
- Compliance of Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC)
- Operationalising the National Policy on Petrochemicals
- Effective Coordination for implementation of rehabilitation measures for Bhopal Gas Leak Disaster Victimes\
- Improving Performance of Hindustan Organic Chemicals Ltd. (HOCL)
- Improving Performance of Hindustan Insectides Limited (HIL)
- Enhancing effectiveness of Institute of Pesticide Formulation Technology
- Develop an innovation road map with incentives/disincentives for chemicals
- Improving performance of Hindustan Fluorocarbons Limited (HFL)
|Outcome/ Impact of department/ ministry||Jointly responsible for influencing this outcome / impact with the following department (s) / ministry(ies)||Success Indicator||Unit||FY 11/12||FY 12/13||FY 13/14||FY 14/15||FY 15/16|
|1. Growth of the chemical sector||State Governments, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Commerce, Planning commission, Industry||Growth over previous year||%||2.5||-1 (3 qtr)|
|2. Growth of the petrochemical sector||State Governments, Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Finance, Planning Commission, Industry||Growth over previous year||%||8.8||1 (3 qtr)|
|3. Promotion of PCPIRs||Ministries/Departments of Govt of India, State Governments, Anchor Investors and Industry Associations||Increase in Investment committed in the PCPIR||% over previous year|
|4. Growth of employment in the chemical and petrochemical sectors||Industry, Ministries of Finance, Commerce, Planning Commission etc||Increase over previous year||%|